Billions of dollars in damage occurs in the U.S. annually due to natural events, the majority caused by Category 3, 4 and 5 hurricanes. Hurricane Andrew caused more than $25B in just Dade County Florida. Hurricane Katrina caused more than $100B in total economic loss. Fueled by this period of destruction, the science behind hurricane-rated products and building structures to withstand these storms has evolved considerably.
What does Hurricane or Storm Resistant Mean?Let’s begin with looking at hurricane ratings. Most hurricane resistant doors are required to meet at least one of the following standards:
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute)
- ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)
- TAS (Testing Application Standard)
- IBC (International Building Code)
- IRC (International Residential Code)